Space Heating 101
Today’s propane space heaters allow you to transform any living space – from basement to sunroom, or even your whole home – into a cozy space with self-adjusting heat that keeps room temperature consistent from floor to ceiling.
You have a several options when choosing a space heater for your Pennsylvania home or workspace. Here are some basics about each type:
Direct vent space heaters
Direct vent heaters are ductless, propane-powered systems that offer an economical and unobtrusive alternative to installing a traditional furnace or boiler. They are basically combustion boxes that use outdoor air to create heat; any fumes produced by combustion are vented directly outside via a small tube.
Direct vent heaters offer:
- Duct-free operation, making them less expensive install and maintain than a traditional furnace or boiler.
- Precision heating, with the ability to vary intensity and fan speed to make temperature changes as small as 1° Fahrenheit.
- Easy installation – Simple one-hole venting and no ductwork means that most installations can be completed in a day.
- Easy operation – Programmable thermostats allow you to adjust operation based on your habits and usage.
Vent-free space heaters
Vent-free propane space heaters require neither venting nor ductwork to operate, and both are available in a variety of capacities to suit just about any home or work space.
Compared to direct vent options, vent-free propane heaters are less expensive and offer greater installation flexibility, since they don’t require outdoor venting or access to an external wall. However, unlike direct vent options, combustion fumes in both vent-free options are vented inside the home, which affect some people who are sensitive to odors or allergies.
Vent-Free gas heaters are available in two basic types: blue flame or infrared; both are extremely efficient (typically more than 99 percent), using the about the same amount of gas to produce the same amount of overall heat.
- Infrared vent free heaters use gas to heat ceramic panels that radiate heat like the sun. They heat radiating heat to objects (or people) in the room rather than by heating the air itself. Because of the, the effect of an infrared heater is extremely targeted: if you stand directly in front of one, you will feel the heat immediately, making it a great heater to stand in front of if you have just come in from the cold.
- Blue flame vent free heaters operate by convection, warming the actual air in the room. A blue flame heater may take longer to heat a room because it must heat the air rather than a targeted object, but it will provide more consistent temperature control than an infrared heater. If your space is insulated, a blue flame heater is probably the better choice.
Whatever choice you make, a propane space heater can recover a “lost,” hard-to-heat room with ease; they’re a great, cost-efficient choice for any home with a heating challenge.
Not sure which space heater to choose for your Williamstown-area home? We can help. Contact us today to speak to a propane space heater specialist at Koppy’s Propane!