Check out our new Customer Portal to view your account, request deliveries and pay your bill! Click here
Safety and Efficiency Tips for Your Propane Gas Furnace
Today’s gas furnaces are high-tech machines filled with safety and efficiency features – but they still need some common sense care when they’re operating in your Pennsylvania home.
Here are five simple ways you can keep your gas furnace operating at its best and safest in the cold weather months to come:
- Check your air filter monthly. A clogged air filter will make your furnace overwork to do its job, which means higher bills and less comfort in the short term and more repairs and a shorter lifespan for your equipment in the long run.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors. Any equipment that burns fuel produces a small amount of carbon monoxide (CO); when the equipment is operating properly, that CO is exhausted harmlessly through the roof vent. But a poorly maintained or malfunctioning furnace could create dangerous levels of CO in your home (see #5 below). Inexpensive carbon monoxide detectors are a must for safety at every level of your home – install, test, and replace them as directed by the manufacturer. Strongly consider adding propane gas leak detectors, too.
- Keep flammables away from your gas furnace. Flammable fumes from paint thinner and other volatile liquids are a fire hazard. Store them safely in another area of the house or basement, especially if your furnace has a pilot light.
- Clean the furnace panel door. Dust and dirt are the enemies of gas furnace performance, so keep your furnace as clean as possible. Never operate the furnace with the front panel door removed.
- Schedule a tune-up every year. Regular maintenance will not only keep your furnace running safely, it will also save you money by helping your equipment to run more efficiently and by catching small problems before the become costly repairs. The bottom line: preventative service more than pays for itself.
Stay safe and lower your energy bills with convenient, expert gas furnace repairs and maintenance anywhere in our service area from the pros at Koppy’s Propane. Contact us today to learn more!